· Composition instructor, Texas Woman’s University. Aug. 2002-August 2004.
· Staff writer, The Killeen Daily Herald, Killeen, Texas. Nov. 2001-Aug. 2002
Education reporter covering school news and feature stories.
· Staff writer, The Plano Star Courier, Plano, Texas, May 2001 – Nov. 2001
General assignment reporter covering business, employment, social issues, health, education, art and personal profiles.
· Copy editor, The North Texas Daily, The University of North Texas,
Sept. 2000 – May 2001.
Copy edited the editorial, campus life and feature pages.
· Research Assistant, Mayborn Graduate Institute of Journalism,
The University of North Texas, Sept. 2000 – May 2001.
Assisted Dr. Jacque Lambiase on a research project on design trends of magazine covers.
· Graduate Assistant and Webmaster, Mayborn Graduate Institute of Journalism,
The University of North Texas, Sept. 1999 – Sept. 2000.
Assisted Dr. Mitch Land in teaching and updating the journalism web site.
· Translator, Friends of China Foundation, China, July 1996 – June 1999
Helped set up the FOC Chengdu office, translated government regulations and laws, attended National and Provincial Conferences and prepared reports.
· Evening Class Teacher, Sichuan University, China, March 1998 – April 1999
Taught conversational English to part-time students.
· Chinese Language Tutor. 1992-1998
Taught conversation and written Chinese to foreign students in China.
· Texas Woman's University, Denton, Texas. PhD in rhetoric (work in progress).
· University of North Texas, Denton, Texas. Master’s of Journalism
Major: Journalism; Minor: Library Information Science, Sept. 1999-Aug. 2001
· Sichuan University, Chengdu, China. Bachelor’s of Arts
Major: English Language and Literature; Minor: Japanese, Sept. 1992-June 1996
· “Alien Blues: Interpreting Filipino Short Stories in a Sociohistorical Context.” Federation Rhetoric Symposium. Texas A&M University at Commerce. February 2003.
· “Not Guilty: A Feminist Rebuttal for Milton and His Eve.” Federation Rhetoric Symposium, Texas Woman’s University, Denton, Texas. Februray 2004.
· “‘The “Postcolonial Inferiority Complex’: Viewing Filipino American Literature Through Postcolonial-Marxist Lenses.” MELUS conference, San Antonio, May 2004
· “‘Raising Girls is Raising Cowbirds:’ The Appropriation of Chinese Oral Tradition in Maxine Hong Kingston’s The Woman Warrior.” Rhetoric Society of America, Austin. May 2004.
· “This Ain’t Just An Apple: Teaching American Culture Through Advertising-Image Analysis in an ESL Composition Classroom.” Conference of College Communication and Composition. San Antonio, May 2004.
Sigma Tau Delta—English International Honor Society
Modern Language Association
MELUS—Society for Multi-ethnic Literature
Asian American Association
Scholarships and Awards:
· Mayborn Graduate Scholarship of Journalism, 2000-2001
· Lauream Christian Roberston Memorial Scholarship, 2000-2001
· Texas Woman’s University International Student Scholarship, 2002
· Johnnie Lee Feemster Endowed Scholarship, 2003
· Edith and Edgar Deen Literary Scholarship, 2003
· Dr. John Dawson, Sr. Endowed Scholarship, 2004
Learn Chinese Curriculum Hours/Location Staff FAQ Business Culture
Invest in China Other Services Links Contact us