http://chinese-school.netfirms.com Forum Index http://chinese-school.netfirms.com
Forums that bring us together

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Godís Hand Upon Us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    http://chinese-school.netfirms.com Forum Index -> Submit Articles
pastordee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Godís Hand Upon Us Reply with quote

Godís Hand Upon Us
Copyright © 2006 by Darlene Bishop

Read Nehemiah 1:1-2:8.

In Chislev, the ninth month of the Jewish calendar, approximately November or December by our calendar today, Nehemiah learned from his brother, Hanani, that the wall of Jerusalem was broken down. This news disturbed him so greatly that he "wept and mourned for days" (v. 1:4). He then began to fast and pray to God for a solution.

His prayer and fasting led Nehemiah to repent before God, not only for his own sin, but for the sin of "the sons of Israel"Ėhis countrymenĖas well (v. 1:6). He prayed that God would make him "successful today and grant him compassion before this man [King Artaxerxes]" whom God would lead him to speak with to find the answer he sought.

Approximately four months later, in the spring month of Nisan, the burden had become more than Nehemiah could bear. Verse 2:1 says in speaking of the king, "I had not been sad in his presence." Apparently, Nehemiahís heart had become so heavy, that he could no longer hide his grief from the king.

Though he was afraid, Nehemiah found the courage to share his concerns with the king (v. 2:2-3). When the king asked what he wanted to do about it, Nehemiah trusted God to answer (v. 2:4).

In His faithfulness, and true to His character, God showed Nehemiah what needed to be done in Jerusalem; and God chose him to supervise the project. Perhaps Nehemiah was uncomfortable with this task, but the speed with which he volunteered suggests that he felt at least some confidence in his ability, and definitely in the Lordís ability to use him to see the job completed. In obedience, Nehemiah listened to the Lord and God worked mightily on his behalf.

Upon the kingís approval of his plan, Nehemiah could have simply thanked the king, blessed his good fortune, and gone to Jerusalem to complete his ďjob.Ē But Nehemiah was quick to realize that God had indeed answered his prayer. Verse 2:8 says, "And the king granted them to me because the good hand of my God was on me." We, too, must be quick to realize when God answers our prayers and when His hand is upon us.

Often, as we mature into adulthood, we learn various skills and acquire confidence in our natural abilities. While thatís good to the extent that we desire a healthy self-esteem, we must be careful to acknowledge where our true strength lies. It is not within us, but in God.

Just as Nehemiah was faithful and quick to praise the Lord for working in his life and for answering his prayer, let us, as 21st century saints, be quick to give God the glory for His work in our lives as well.

PRAYER FOR TODAY
Jesus, help me today in all I do or say to give you the honor and not believe for even a moment that the good that happens to me is simply coincidental or brought about by my own efforts alone. Thank you, Lord. Amen.

All scripture used is from the New American Standard (NASB), © Copyright 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Darlene "Dee" Bishop is a Christian pastor, writer, and creative designer who has succesfully worked online since 1998. Visit her website and learn how her common sense marketing and website design solutions helps Christians develop a valuable online presence.

This article may be reprinted in your free print or online publication or on your website if left exactly as is, including bio and copyright information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    http://chinese-school.netfirms.com Forum Index -> Submit Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Thank you for visiting us