http://chinese-school.netfirms.com Forum Index http://chinese-school.netfirms.com
Forums that bring us together

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese is Easy (for English Speakers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    http://chinese-school.netfirms.com Forum Index -> Chinese Language Learning
schong719
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Chinese is Easy (for English Speakers) Reply with quote

Today, another person just told me that she thinks Chinese is much easier than the other languages she learned.

She thinks that Chinese is easy because

1. It's a very logical language
2. The word order is very similar to English
3. The grammar is simplier than English.

She learned Chinese for 3 years and she is able to converse with me without any difficulties.
meiji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Is Chinese easy? Reply with quote

All my life I have struggled trying to speak another language. It has been a disaster.

While studying Chinese painting and calligraphy I asked the instructer to teach us some mandarin words that would come in handy for trvel. Mandarin is the first language that I excelled in pronounciation. I can even read a few words. And that is without concentrated study. I w3ill taking up the dilligent study of Chinese as soon as I find a class or instructor.

Thus I find Chinese easy. Certainly easier to learn than English. I get to practise Chinese everytime I call my cat, MeiMei!
schong719
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mandarin is a very logical language, and it should be very easy to learn.

Most Americans are scared by the negative publicity on the language. We should have more people like Mike Wright
RodgerS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning a language seems to range from learning a couple of words or phrases, to working towards different fluency levels. Without knowing what level a person has attained or wants to obtain, it is difficult to know how reliable their experiences and thoughts on the subject are. Certainly, different people have varying multi-linguistic capability, particularly more difficult the older one gets.

For me, learning Mandarin has been a series of transitions over several years. One of my Chinese instructors agreed with my observation that many beginner students stop when they realize that to learn more than a few words will take a lot of work once the novelty wears thin. This really is not so different for English students either, but learning Chinese seems more like a life-time commitment, rather than simply a study commitment.

There is just much more to Chinese when it comes to tone and the symbols, though arguably English grammar looms huge for those learning English and tells you the level of the English speaker very reliably. A study I read suggested that the study time to learn the equivalent of Mandarin to English was a 3x to 1x ratio. That makes sense to me when I consider the tonal and character requirments.

The most difficult issues are whether or not the learner of Chinese will be able to eventually make a life-time regular learning commitment, getting through the first year of so of headaches of adjusting to a tonal language, accepting the need to at some point learn to read the characters, and
finding the local resources needed to fill gaps in the learning process.

Currently, I was lucky to get far enough along to benefit by listening to the Mandarin tv serials, with English sub-titles, on tv using my tivo, and I found three-page intermediate level conversations on-line that were tri-stories; in Chinese characters, English, and pinyin that I could use to practice translation.

What is now the biggest challenge is finding local friends to talk/practice with.
yuenflai3388

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps... Website is "spam.spam"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    http://chinese-school.netfirms.com Forum Index -> Chinese Language Learning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Thank you for visiting us